meonbooks

Me on Books

Me on Books features reviews of young adult novels, the occasional middle grade or graphic novel, and promotes Canadian young adult authors as much as possible. :)

For Darkness Shows the Stars
Diana Peterfreund
Perfect Ruin
Lauren DeStefano

Awaken

Awaken - Katie Kacvinsky Intriguing, very realistic, which made it compelling. What if all our lives was spent in front of a screen? What if we went on dates and runs and walks and saw movies all from the comfort of our home? I spend a lot of my time online, reading or on social media, and this book hit a little close to home. While reading I had that slightly uncomfortable 'our lives could really be like this' one day feeling.Maddie was very conflicted, torn between the physical and actual make-contact-with-the-world-without-a-screen environment Justin brings her into and the comfortable and familiar computer screen inside her room. She's torn between conforming and investigating. What stops her are the repercussions, the consequences, the possible banishment, the anger of her parents.A very much enjoyed semi-dystopian, a recommended read for fans of Lauren Oliver's Delirium and Elana Johnson's Possession. A little easier on the soul, perhaps. Delirium almost brought me to tears.Quick note: I read this book as a stand alone and enjoyed it, it worked. Recently I learned the author is working on a second book, but I'm not sure if it's a sequel or a companion novel. I'm not sure how I feel, but I will read it.